Requirements for playing alone.

• Greetings. I doubt anyone remembers, but, back on the old forum, I had asked if it would be possible to play alone, offline. Well, I'm back to see what, once development reaches the point of being playable, the bare minimum I need to download to get a private, self-hosted server running offline for myself. My system should be able to handle it. Thank you in advance.

Also, I know Star Wars Galaxies is primarily a social game (being an MMO and all), but, I'm not the type of person to play online, and there are no games that satisfy my desire for an open world (or at least free roam) Star Wars RPG with real time combat. I have no idea if EA's unannounced Star Wars title will come anywhere close to doing so. The closest mods have come to this is with Star Wars Conquest for Mount & Blade, but, it just doesn't go the whole way at this point in time. Heck, this is the only Star Wars Galaxies server emulator, as far as I know, that can truly satisfy that itch.

Edit: I know there is an installation guide, but, I'm not sure how much of it would apply to playing solo.

Edit 2: Also, I'm sorry if I asked these questions before on the old forum. My memory is rusty and I have no clue if those forums could be accessed again.

Final Edit: I do recall someone mentioning that if I were to play alone, I would need to basically create the in-game economy myself. I noticed a mods section in the download area. If it means what I think it means, would it be possible to mod in a pre-existing economy, if someone wanted too?

Edited 5 times, last by austen1000 ().

• SWG was never meant to be played alone. True you could play most of the main story line alone, but much of the game does revolve around its multi-player aspects, especially once you get to end game. Not only would you have problems with your economy, but you couldn't do the group raids and dungeons. You also can't participate in the Galactic Civil War, Guilds, PvP, or in Dueling.

If you want a good Star Wars RPG, then try Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

elimrealr4.jpg

Characters: Elmirea Runningstrider, Omarri
    Server: Bria
    Guild: Mansurus Ordo
    Years: 2007-2010

• Hardware Requirements:
    You can expect Holocore to:

• Consume a couple of gigabytes of storage space
    • Use multiple processing cores, because it's a heavily threaded workload
    • Use a few gigabytes of memory

I can give no specific numbers because it depends on a lot of different factors.

We do try to make Holocore as efficient as possible. Performance is something we care deeply about, because it'll reduce the amount of money needed for server hardware. Additionally, this should make most somewhat modern devices capable of hosting a SWG server.

Singleplayer Mod:
    Holocore is open source software. As such, anyone can make modifications as they see fit. Should someone feel like making a single-player oriented version of SWG, they can do so with Holocore.

• SWG was never meant to be played alone. True you could play most of the main story line alone, but much of the game does revolve around its multi-player aspects, especially once you get to end game. Not only would you have problems with your economy, but you couldn't do the group raids and dungeons. You also can't participate in the Galactic Civil War, Guilds, PvP, or in Dueling.

If you want a good Star Wars RPG, then try Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

My problem with the KOTOR games is that the level design feels linear (at least for the first one), their is no post-story gameplay for a particular character, and that they are, at their core, turned-based in combat. With both of those games, I try to set it all up to feel as close to real-time as possible, which is their saving grace for me... somewhat.

I guess the best way to describe my desires is that I want a Bethesda-esque RPG experience. My first RPG ever was The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I fell in love with the gerne because of it. After my brother recommended KOTOR to me (because he heard it was good, and he wanted me to shut up about Oblivion, which I was obsessed with at the time), I bought it, I played it, and just felt... Meh. I mean, they are good games in their own right, I won't deny that. But, they just aren't my cup of tea. All of this brings me to this game, and this server emulator.

If there was a better solution, I would go for it. Unless Star Wars Conquest sees some major breakthroughs, now that it is in development again, this seems to be my only option.

Thank you for the info. My system has 16gb of ram, and a hyperthreaded quad core processor, 3.5ghz. I hope that will be enough. Will there be any modding tutorials?

• Thank you for the info. My system has 16gb of ram, and a hyperthreaded quad core processor, 3.5ghz. I hope that will be enough. Will there be any modding tutorials?

It will of course depend on what else is going on, but that should be fine. I don't believe we currently intend on providing other tutorials than setting up the environment - maybe that's something for the future.

• It will of course depend on what else is going on, but that should be fine. I don't believe we currently intend on providing other tutorials than setting up the environment - maybe that's something for the future.

Alright, thank you. Since I am going to be playing offline on the same computer, what is the bare minimum I need to download from here (on the download page), and are there an programs and/or steps that need to be added/omitted in the tutorials for myself, and anyone else seeking this setup?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I just want setup to go as smoothly as possible, once I get the game in the near future.

@[HAWK]Undercova

I just saw your reply. I want to make the game into more of a singpleplayer RPG for myself, and anyone who wants it. Things like a pre-existing economy, more PvE content, removing group restrictions on certain things like dungeons, and scaling their content to match, if needed. Things like that. Maybe even a bare-bones version of the server software that has just enough for one player (a big if, and probably more for myself, as I have yet to read the licensing for the software itself).

Edited 4 times, last by austen1000 ().

• The setup for you is the same one for everyone else right now. There should be guides for it out there.

You can modify the software as much as you'd like to.

• The setup for you is the same one for everyone else right now. There should be guides for it out there.
    You can modify the software as much as you'd like to.

Thank you for the replies and info. I'll look at those tutorials once I get the game. One final question. I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, but, if I were to turn the self-hosted server off after I am done playing a session, will it retain all the info it has on it, like save data and any other info about the game it stores?

• Thank you for the replies and info. I'll look at those tutorials once I get the game. One final question. I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, but, if I were to turn the self-hosted server off after I am done playing a session, will it retain all the info it has on it, like save data and any other info about the game it stores?

Yes, Holocore uses persistent storage so once the server is shut down and restarted it will look like nothing ever happened.

• Yes, Holocore uses persistent storage so once the server is shut down and restarted it will look like nothing ever happened.

Thank you for the response.

Well, that should conclude this series of questions. If I have anymore when I get the game, I'll start a different thread. Thank you everyone for their support, despite the unusual nature of my questions. I look forward to playing.

• Thank you for the response.
    Well, that should conclude this series of questions. If I have anymore when I get the game, I'll start a different thread. Thank you everyone for their support, despite the unusual nature of my questions. I look forward to playing.

I wanted to clarify my wording. When I said "look like nothing ever happened", what I meant was, it will look like the server wasn't shut down. This means that characters, their items, skills, quests etc. will not be lost.