Guides and info

• Are there any plans to try to replace some of the guides and other informational threads from the old forums. It was nice to have a place to refer back to for information, and it gave new people a great place to start. Maybe I'm missing something but there seems to be a real lack of helpful content available to people who might want to begin to learn and help. Still feel like this project is the best chance for a smooth/stable server to play on.

• I'm all for this too! There were some great guides and it would be a shame to lose them

Formerly known as Camer from Intrepid, and later from Starsider

• That would be cool. I've written software over the last 8 years in VB.NET, and have just recently started learning Java for the sole purpose of being able to help out with this project (it's nice that once you know one programming language, the others are similar). It might be a bit before I am ready, but in the mean time, it is cool to be able to explore and familiarize myself with how things are put together. For others that are interested, like myself, one link that I had bookmarked before the old forums went offline was Bucky's Java tutorials: Java Tutorials .

I've had some success getting set up with the various pieces of information that I have been able to glean from Project SWG's BitBucket page (getting Java installed, PostgreSQL setup and database configured, but there are a few steps that I haven't been able to find: Like configuring Maven, etc.

If you haven't worked with Java before, I would recommend watching the Java Tutorials listed above - I'm really enjoying them, and they're helping me bridge the gap with my old programming language and Java.

Hope this helps!

"When are you going to understand that being normal isn't neccesarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage."
    Aunt Jett, "Practical Magic"

• That's awesome! I too want to learn how to program just to contribute to the project. I look forward to taking a programming class in a semester or two. Are those tutorials useful for beginners, or people who have at least some experience?

• That's awesome! I too want to learn how to program just to contribute to the project. I look forward to taking a programming class in a semester or two. Are those tutorials useful for beginners, or people who have at least some experience?

I have also felt I would like to contribute, and I have a little experience with some C++ based programming, but tbh have felt a bit intimidated by the idea of coding anything for SWG! BUT.... I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm from both of you now, so I'm going to have a look at these Java tutorials and see whats what at last!

I am one with the force the force is with me   ~ Chirrut Imwe, Baze Malbus

• I don't know when the guides will be back up. Turns out there are only a few people with access to the archive of the old forum and I haven't heard back yet.

• For a complete beginner another good place to start is udemy. there are some free courses on there such as https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/learn/#/
    I have been going through the courses myself but not at the point I feel comfortable working with the server code. I do have a test server up but I'm still in the process of learning to make additions to it. I do have a few friends that are also learning to try to contribute so hopefully we can help at some point.

• For a complete beginner another good place to start is udemy. there are some free courses on there such as https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/learn/#/
    I have been going through the courses myself but not at the point I feel comfortable working with the server code. I do have a test server up but I'm still in the process of learning to make additions to it. I do have a few friends that are also learning to try to contribute so hopefully we can help at some point.

That's awesome, thank you for that resource! Do you think it's fine to go from no programming skill straight to java? If so, I may go straight for this then too

• That's awesome, thank you for that resource! Do you think it's fine to go from no programming skill straight to java? If so, I may go straight for this then too

Java is, in my opinion, a relatively simple programming language.

• Java is, in my opinion, a relatively simple programming language.

I'm glad to hear that! Is that compared to, say, C++ or python?

• Java is, in my opinion, a relatively simple programming language.

Agreed. My "native" language (VB.NET) has a bunch of Microsoft-infused stuff in it, and Java looks much more straightforward to me. IMHO picking up a particular programming language is a matter of choice (what do you want to use it for?), so choosing Java, I feel is a nice one to start out with - there are a lot of resources around for it.

"When are you going to understand that being normal isn't neccesarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage."

To answer your question, he starts out with the basics such as how to download and install Java and Eclipse (an IDE - Integrated Desktop Environment), and then goes step by step through (I believe it is a total of 80 7-8 minute videos) various programming topics, definitions, etc. So, I think it would also be good for a beginner as well. Hope this helps :)

• To answer your question, he starts out with the basics such as how to download and install Java and Eclipse (an IDE - Integrated Desktop Environment), and then goes step by step through (I believe it is a total of 80 7-8 minute videos) various programming topics, definitions, etc. So, I think it would also be good for a beginner as well. Hope this helps :)

Yes that helps a bunch! Sounds like the ideal way to learn for me, thank you!

• I'm glad to hear that! Is that compared to, say, C++ or python?

I had a C/C++ course before I started learning Java and I'd definitely say that Java is easier to get into as a newbie.

• Is there a list we can access anywhere that list any current working in game commands such as teleporting to other planets or giving credits etc...?

• I had a C/C++ course before I started learning Java and I'd definitely say that Java is easier to get into as a newbie.

Okay that's very good to know.

• nice to see so many ppl willing to help us :)

Obique already gave me his approval that we can publish Ziggy his code about NPC service. we will be able to see the correct NPCs and their names then. nevertheless Ziggy wants to "polish" that code first if possible ... or do it in another way. have to wait for it

my idea is that we get that code onto TC asap then. and ill also upload the npc database we have so far. npcs should be visible ingame on all spots we have so far.
    when you find a missing NPC or a wrong one you can use the Bug Tracker (Suggestion) here to report it

once we are ready to do that .. ill post a thread/announcement about it

Ph2zuj0.png

Characters: Bipolei (Officer) /// Undercova Brother (Medic)
    Server: Europe - Infinity /// Europe - Farstar /// Europe - Chimaera
    Guild:
    HAWK