The Passing of Max von Sydow a.k.a. Lor San Tekka

• I just learned that Max von Sydow passed away on March 8, 2020.

I mostly know of Max from Ingmar Bergman's films and I have a certain affection for this actor as a result. I always gave a little smile when ever he showed up on the big screen, like in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I was learning about Ingmar Bergman just prior to when Star Wars (later re-titled as Episode IV: A New Hope) was originally released. His role was not a big one, but it was Max von Sydow, the actor from The Seventh Seal, Hour of the Wolf, Through a Glass Darkly, and The Virgin Spring. He made eleven films with Ingmar Bergman. The Virgin Spring was the first Bergman/Sydow film I saw.

I will miss seeing him pop up in new films. It was almost always unexpected. On the plus side, I have not seen all the films he was in, so I have those to surprise me.

• It's a shame I only recognize two of his roles. The Force Awakens as Lor Tekka and in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as Esbern, a member of the Blades. He did a great job portraying these two characters. RIP.

• I believe he was also the priest in The Exorcist, which I will be brutally honest, was a movie I didn’t take seriously. That was probably the first movie I saw him in. But yeah, 90 years and so many roles in acting is quite something, he will be missed. RIP

wow. I just looked up and Turner Classic Movies has a little tribute to him as I finished reading the comments. I forgot he was in the Exorcist.