SWG Code Question

• Heya folks,

After seeing the new Star Wars movie recently I had the itch to try SWG again, Many amazing memories and amazing people, some of whom are on these forums. While the SWGEmu is great I always preferred the combat in the NGE so started looking for an NGE emulator. I've been keeping an eye on PSWG for a while but wasn't aware until I started looking into things recently that it's going to be a while before we have a flushed out universe here (which is fine of course, I commend your efforts and I am very excited <3 ).

The only other option seemed to be SWG Reborn/Legends. I looked into things a little bit (reddit hehe) and side from the drama that sadly surrounds that project currently it seems very promising, From what I gather this is because they are using the original SOE source code and server infrastructure.

My questions are:

- Does using original SOE Source code raise copyright/legality issues, Or is it okay as long as it's a non-profit venture?

- Are you guys going to use this too? incorporate elements or use it as reference to speed up the development process? I guess it's an all or nothing kinda thing if legal issues come into it.

The main reasons I ask is that I'm worried to sink time into a project that has drama surrounding it, would rather put time/money into a sure thing, which PSWG seems to be for the NGE. Right now I'm just an impatient sod and the SWG legends server seems almost too good to be true while I wait for PSWG, hence why I'm here.

Thanks, and apologies if these are questions you'd rather not answer, I'm aware you're first and foremost an emulation and the work you're doing is fantastic :)

Cheers,

Cormaq / -eXodus- :cantina_band:

The post was edited 3 times, last by Cormaq: Reasons... ().

• First of all welcome.
    Also, thank you for taking the time to look at both projects objectively.
    I'll answer what I know.

My questions are:

- Does using original SOE Source code raise copyright/legality issues, Or is it okay as long as it's a non-profit venture?

The simple answer is "yes" It does raise all sorts of copyright AND legal issues. Though being "non-profit" doesn't help them much.

In Reborn/Legends' case, it simply a matter of "whenever X corporation involved decides it's in their best interests to pursue legal action." As of right now, nothing has come of it. That's no reason to assume they never will.

Does that mean emulators like SWGEMU and ProjectSWG, are immune to any legal action, or take down? I never say never usually, and I would say that it may be possible if a company was committed to burning money, just to get rid of PSWG or EMU, but being that they both fall under a legal loophole with their respective codes being completely original - It's almost certain to never happen by comparison to any server using the SOE source.

- Are you guys going to use this too? incorporate elements or use it as reference to speed up the process? I guess it's an all or nothing kinda thing if legal issues come into it.

Use? No both ProjectSWG and EMU have made it pretty clear they don't want to use it. If someone is using it as a reference, I wouldn't hold it against them personally. (in the end as long as the code written, by PSWG isn't matching the source, I think it should be fine) - my opinion. But officially, the answer, here is "NO".

The main reasons I ask is that I'm worried to sink time into a project that has drama surrounding it, would rather put time/money into a sure thing, which PSWG seems to be for the NGE. Right now I'm just an impatient sod and the SWG legends server seems almost too good to be true while I wait for PSWG, hence why I'm here.

Well, from first hand experience, SWG Legends (and Reborn before it) IS too good to be true. Much of that code is a gigantic mess. There's a lot that just doesn't work - the code was meant to run in parallel with multiple servers performing different operations at once (per game server), and they're trying to run it on a single consumer-level server.

When it does work. It can be fun for awhile, but it's gone far too quickly.

I never kept up with the drama very much, after the first implosion at Reborn, but at least half of the drama simply seems to stem from the technical issues.

Feel free to check out Legends, if you like (if their server is even still up).
    But in my personal opinion I think you'll be very impressed with direction ProjectSWG is going. They've already massively improved on a number of things, that didn't even work when the game was still live.

And if you are looking to help out, this the best time to get started.

Hope to see you stick around.

• Thx for the warm welcome mate and everything answered in one post, awesome! I guess I'll quietly pray that everything works out well for both projects. In the mean time I guess it's time to see if I can be of help here. Miss this game so much,

Cheers,

Corm

• :O cormaq? as in the smelly Bh that had white cyber arms? and red mando armor? sorry for the invasion of this thread