SWG Legends?

• It seems the blow up of the team working on SWG Reborn was short lived. The remains of that blow up, have created a new emulator, SWG Legends. Not only that, but SWG Legends servers are accessed via the projectswg launcher. Is there something you devs could tell us? Like, is there a collaboration going on? How are they able to use your launcher, like that? Did you allow them to use your launcher for their project?

• There's no collaboration going on and they've not asked for permission of any kind.

They're setting their players up to be pulling patches from our patch server, but connect to their game server.
    The patch server has been under a lot of stress, supplying patches to their entire community as well as our own. This has forced us to throttle the upload speed.

This stunt only works with older versions of our launcher. We've since then completely switched up our network infrastructure and the launcher is no longer compatible with their game server without modifications. They can still grab patches and, if they feel like it, modify the code for the launcher to make it compatible once more (it's open source).

This leaves us in a difficult situation, since we can't know what a player is going to do with the patches they just downloaded and our current patch server can't keep up. Sure, we could get beefier hardware, but why should our community pay the expenses of theirs?

• they can just upload what poeple need on their server and not waste/block connection to your's. Or atleast do something, i dont want to happen things like emu... clone a repo its a pain only with 50kb/s .....

• they can just upload what poeple need on their server and not waste/block connection to your's. Or atleast do something, i dont want to happen things like emu... clone a repo its a pain only with 50kb/s .....

I definitely share your concern. We try to provide the best service possible for our community.

Providing the best service can be difficult when there are leech communities like SWGLegends that take without giving back. None of their received donations are sent ProjectSWGs way.

There's unfortunately not an awful lot we can do about it. The staff of communities like SWGLegends have, so far, had no interest in helping sustain the load by either hosting their own patch server or helping us pay for a better one.

That's not to say we can't do something if they force us to. Hopefully it won't have to go there because it'll make the process of patching overly complicated.

• what Ziggy said

SWG R and SWG L were/are like rental nomads

Ph2zuj0.png

Characters: Bipolei (Officer) /// Undercova Brother (Medic)
    Server: Europe - Infinity /// Europe - Farstar /// Europe - Chimaera
    Guild:
    HAWK

• In addition to nomads and leeches, I think you can add the words, raiders, pirates, and pillagers of the village to that list. This type of action by them, only questions whether they have any moral code at all, as they were so concerned with how to get their project back off the ground, they didn't stop to question how there actions could affect others, as it seems, they were only thinking about their own interests. Btw, since the roadmap is going forward nicely, did we ever get the day/night cycles, aspect of weather service fixed?

• Btw, since the roadmap is going forward nicely, did we ever get the day/night cycles, aspect of weather service fixed?

That particular issue was never dealt with, no.

• That's disappointing. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to emulate that. Its been so long since I've played the full game, I have forgotten what it even looked like or even how long the cycles were supposed to be. Part of my interest in having it restored is because it was something I remember fondly about swg, that is sadly lacking in swtor.

• It seems the blow up of the team working on SWG Reborn was short lived. The remains of that blow up, have created a new emulator, SWG Legends. Not only that, but SWG Legends servers are accessed via the projectswg launcher. Is there something you devs could tell us? Like, is there a collaboration going on? How are they able to use your launcher, like that? Did you allow them to use your launcher for their project?

I don't believe they are using the ProjectSWG launcher any more. As of yesterday, they have their own. At this point it is very basic, and it is going through some teething problems. The initial developers of SWG Reborn used an older version of the ProjectSWG, which I remember thinking was a bit cheesy, but I think they were scraping things together to rush things along. I think they now have developers that are fighting that urge for instant gratification, but they are working very hard. I don't know if they are still pulling your patches or not. I think I will ask them.

• There's a way to find out. Just do some quick packet sniffing. see where it's pulling the files from.

• I don't believe they are using the ProjectSWG launcher any more. As of yesterday, they have their own. At this point it is very basic, and it is going through some teething problems. The initial developers of SWG Reborn used an older version of the ProjectSWG, which I remember thinking was a bit cheesy, but I think they were scraping things together to rush things along. I think they now have developers that are fighting that urge for instant gratification, but they are working very hard. I don't know if they are still pulling your patches or not. I think I will ask them.

This is good news. Hopefully they'll accompany their new launcher with their own patch server.

If you could report back with their answer, then that'd be appreciated.

• I sent the developer a PM asking. They know that some in the emulation community hates them, although some players don't, and don't understand the difference between a repair/reconstruction, which is what they are doing, with a create from scratch emulation. I find that more annoying than anything. Although the goal is the same for both, the two projects are very different in what they are doing.

They once had a survey about their web page and what we would like to see. I commented that they should look how SWGEmu and ProjectSWG does things because both projects are mature, and they both have some very nice features, such as Vlada's Financial Reports for SWGEmu, and ProjectSWG's Roadmap.

• That's disappointing. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to emulate that. Its been so long since I've played the full game, I have forgotten what it even looked like or even how long the cycles were supposed to be. Part of my interest in having it restored is because it was something I remember fondly about swg, that is sadly lacking in swtor.

Time is ridiculously confusing. I spent several days on it and could not figure out why the packets sent didn't change the cycles nor the internal time. We know the proper length of cycles, and have all the systems in place to add it in--but for some reason the packets sent don't do the trick. I'll check it out again after I clean up a few other bugs.

• Hey guys. I made the new launcher for SWG Legends. I always thought it was shady and lazy that Reborn/Legends used your launcher, so I took it upon myself to make us a new one. Rest assured that it takes patch files from our own server, and should not affect you guys anymore. Sorry this didn't happen sooner, but I'm sure you know the type of people we had running this thing up until recently.

I'd also like to add that the current team at SWG Legends has absolutely no problem with you guys, and we'd like to put any feud you had with the previous team behind us.

• This is good news. Hopefully they'll accompany their new launcher with their own patch server.
    If you could report back with their answer, then that'd be appreciated.

I got a reply, and I quote...

"No. We aren't using anything that belongs to them anymore."

Their launcher and the patches are totally independent of ProjectSWG, and although I really doubt anyone said it, thank you.

edit:

Ah. I see Doogla beat me to it. I compose text at a snails pace.

• Hey guys. I made the new launcher for SWG Legends. I always thought it was shady and lazy that Reborn/Legends used your launcher, so I took it upon myself to make us a new one. Rest assured that it takes patch files from our own server, and should not affect you guys anymore. Sorry this didn't happen sooner, but I'm sure you know the type of people we had running this thing up until recently.

I'd also like to add that the current team at SWG Legends has absolutely no problem with you guys, and we'd like to put any feud you had with the previous team behind us.

That's great to hear, and a fantastic first step. Gives our servers a well needed break and allows us to focus on actual development rather than changing our patch server.

• I sent the developer a PM asking. They know that some in the emulation community hates them, although some players don't, and don't understand the difference between a repair/reconstruction, which is what they are doing, with a create from scratch emulation. I find that more annoying than anything. Although the goal is the same for both, the two projects are very different in what they are doing.

They once had a survey about their web page and what we would like to see. I commented that they should look how SWGEmu and ProjectSWG does things because both projects are mature, and they both have some very nice features, such as Vlada's Financial Reports for SWGEmu, and ProjectSWG's Roadmap.

thats why they copied our Roadmap 1:1 :D

Ph2zuj0.png

Characters: Bipolei (Officer) /// Undercova Brother (Medic)
    Server: Europe - Infinity /// Europe - Farstar /// Europe - Chimaera
    Guild:
    HAWK

• Time is ridiculously confusing. I spent several days on it and could not figure out why the packets sent didn't change the cycles nor the internal time. We know the proper length of cycles, and have all the systems in place to add it in--but for some reason the packets sent don't do the trick. I'll check it out again after I clean up a few other bugs.

"Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I take nothing that you do for granted." I don't know if it will help, but I met some one at a convention, who said he used to work as a programmer for SOE. I'll see if he has an idea.

• "Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I take nothing that you do for granted." I don't know if it will help, but I met some one at a convention, who said he used to work as a programmer for SOE. I'll see if he has an idea.

This is probably too much of an inside joke, but I'll give it a go anyways: That was probably Aconite/Viaron lol